Sunday, May 9, 2010

less than a week :(

I've been going going going ever since I wrote my last post. I think that was after the exhibition, so I had 1 week left in Cortona at that point and did everything I could to make the most of that last week. Then we left for Venice early on Monday the 26th. I think Venice is a nice place to visit but the most touristy place I've ever been. It's beautiful but reminds me of a toy store or Disneyland, not like the rest of Italy.

I left Venice on the 29th and flew to Bari to meet Giuseppe, my host brother from 5 years ago. We hung out with his friends for a few hours and then took a bus for several hours to my host family's town. We went out with his friends, went to the beach, I drove a scooter and rode on his motorcycle, ate with the family... I had a really good time, I miss them a lot. Giuseppe drove us back to Bari where he goes to school on May 1, and from there I flew to Brussels. A bus and 2 trains later I arrived in Paris, met Mina, got on another train, and finally arrived at the hotel. We slept in and the next morning Noah met us at the hotel. The food and art in Paris is beyond amazing, I can't really describe it. However, not my favorite city, surprisingly kind of dirty and the people aren't too friendly. Even though I had heard that, it was different to experience it.
Then Mina went home to London back to work and Noah and I flew to Barcelona to meet my mom's friend. I really liked Barcelona. There's no other way to describe Gaudi except as a creative genius. Then on May 7th, Noah and I left. He went back home and I came to London to visit Mina and Shige. We've had a nice relaxing weekend hanging out. They have to go back to work tomorrow so I'll be on my own wandering around the museums. I'm really excited to reunite with my favorite painting (Virgin of the Rocks in the National Gallery, not the Louvre version), and for the Italian Renaissance drawing exhibition in the British Museum. Can't wait!!

So overall traveling has been exhausting but great. Venice, Bari, Rotondella, Brussels, Paris, Barcelona, London- that was plenty for less than two weeks haha. It probably would've been less tiring and stressful if I hadn't taken cheap airlines, it makes a pretty big difference. But I'm a student so what can you do... plus I have all summer to relax.

I miss Italy. I'm trying to think of how to go back. I'd love to go to grad school in Florence. We'll see...

1 comment:

  1. WOW so both you and Joy had "less than a week" titles and I GOT CONFUSED and only read joys.

    DANG GIRL you've been on SO MANY PLANES in such a short time span!!

    Even if you are sad to leave, I AM EXCITED YOU ARE COMING BACK. I know. so selfish of me. But I'm excited for you. Grad school in Florence sounds AMAZING! When you become a famous, world renown artist, please remember your little friend. You don't even need to remember my name. just that there was a girl who you took art with for four years in high school.

    HAVE FUN FOR THE REST OF YOUR WONDERFUL TRIP EMA! Can't believe it's coming to an end, but it seemed to have been QUITE the adventure.

    ReplyDelete